My first sermon here at Masters is set for tomorrow! I’m planning on talking about Sin. Not necessarily a fun topic to talk about, but I like to talk about things that a lot of people won’t. Here is the outline for my sermon. A lot of stuff may not seem clear as it is my speaking outline, but if you’re curious about something on it just email me or post a comment. I’m excited to deliver it! The Title is Sin: What the Heck is that? My primary objective is to take sin, and help change our motives for not sinning, and of course to bring a little conviction to what sins people are committing! Here’s my outline, take it, crucify it, tell me what ya think!
Sin: What the heck is it that?
o Sin is something we often do, it is a word we hear and think about things we are told not to do. We think about punishments, rules, and regulations.
o We think of the things God is “holding” back from us
o but really the reason we aren’t supposed to Sin isn’t that God doesn’t want us to do these things or that they aren’t enjoyable, because it will hurt our very relationship with God in the same way as if we sin against our friends.
o Three points:
§ What sin is:
§ Sins Holding us back:
1. Definition and a few scriptures.
· Sin Definition: estrangement from god
· Estrangement Definition: to turn away in feeling or affection; make unfriendly or hostile; alienate the affections of:
o Their quarrel estranged the two friends.
o Breaks them apart!
· First appearance: Genesis 4:6-7 (New International Version)
o 6 Then the LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it.”
o Something that can be mastered
· After the 10 Commandments: Exodus 20:18-20 (New International Version)
o 18 When the people saw the thunder and lightning and heard the trumpet and saw the mountain in smoke, they trembled with fear. They stayed at a distance 19 and said to Moses, “Speak to us yourself and we will listen. But do not have God speak to us or we will die.” 20 Moses said to the people, “Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning.”
· All are equal: James 2:10 (New International Version)
o 10For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.
2. Forgiveness: new covenant
· 1 John 3:4-6 (New International Version)
o 4Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
· Acts 10:43 (NIV) “All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”
3. Sins holding you back?
- Romans 13:1
o “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.”
1. Speeding- breaking the laws of the land
2. Is marijuana bad? – laws of land and abusing the body
3. Stealing music- law of land and stealing (exodus 20:15)
4. Sins of Ommission: James 4:17 “anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.”
- Proverbs 16:2- “All a man’s ways seem innocent to him, but motives are weighed by the Lord”
o I can justify anything to anyone, or especially to myself, but does that make it not a sin?
· Rock in shoe build up a callus. If we continue to sin it will build up a callus on our spirit and we won’t feel the conviction of our spirit telling us not to do things. It will build up that skin and separate us from the feeling. As it builds up it causes more movement of our foot from the shoe and leads to us losing all feeling.
o Romans 3:23 “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.”
o We all do it! God sent Jesus and the Holy Spirit to get closer to us.
o Step into God and follow the life of Christ closer and the sins will fall away, as we really seek who Jesus is.
o What is holding you back, from having a more intimate relationship with God?
o I ask you what do you need to set a side to build up that relationship?
o Do not look at it as what am I really enjoying that I have to quit ‘cuz the bible, God, or adam is saying to give up, look at it as what is holding you from getting closer to him.
o What small thing am I doing unconsciously that could hinder me from getting closer to Him?
o Prayer to bring forward the sins we don’t see, and the sins we know about and don’t put down.